Black Leadership Action Coalition (BLAC)
BLAC is seeking an experienced Executive Director to lead our membership and organizing efforts and expand BLAC’s work in the areas of civic engagement and legislative, issue and policy campaigns around racial justice. The Executive Director will be responsible for fundraising, strategic planning, staff management and operations, and will report to the Board of Directors.
The successful candidate must not only have strong strategic planning and management experience and skills, but must also be nimble and adept at working within a fast moving non-profit environment. The Executive Director will be the public face of the organization, and will be responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders. The Executive Director will lead the organization’s fundraising efforts.
Black Leadership Action Coalition
The Black Leadership and Action Coalition (BLAC) is a membership-based racial justice organization of Black people and people of color throughout the United States and the Diaspora.
- Develop and manage a fundraising operation and plan;
- Work with the Board of Directors and staff to identify potential funding sources, including foundations, government agencies, and individual donors, and develop and track outreach efforts and follow up;
- Work closely with BLAC’s Board of Directors and President to develop a strategic plan that furthers the organization’s mission;
- Develop and implement a plan to grow and engage the organization’s membership;
- Develop civic engagement, legislative, issue and policy campaigns and programs;
- Develop and maintain relationships with a broad range of external stakeholders;
- Oversee all aspects of the internal operations of the office, including staffing, infrastructure and facilities;
- Recruit, train and manage staff;
- Manage the organization’s budget and work with accounting and auditing firms to ensure compliance with all laws and regulations;
- Develop processes for the efficient and effective operation of the organization with a focus on accountability towards established goals, values and objectives;
- Organize and manage communication between staff;
- Create and monitor the internal systems and processes for communication and reporting among staff;
Qualifications / Skills:
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice for Black people and people of color throughout the United States and the Diaspora;
- At least eight years experience, including supervisory, in one or more of the following types of organizations: non-profit, political and/or issue advocacy campaigns, labor unions, policy or community organizations;
- Strong background in community organizing and membership development;
- Direct experience developing and managing a fundraising operation and plan;
- Experience implementing an organization’s strategic plan and utilizing qualitative and quantitative metrics to track progress and accountability;
- Experience working collaboratively at a senior level;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and follow up with staff at all levels;
- Proven ability to manage, motivate and train staff;
- Strong writing and verbal skills;
- Ability to manage project workflows within a small team and leadership structure despite competing priorities;
- Willingness to learn and embrace a broad range of technologies and systems;
- Detail-oriented and well organized;
- Highly accountable to self and others;
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends, as required;
- New York City residency is a plus. This is not a remote position.
The Black Leadership Action Coalition does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or political affiliation. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to email@example.com with “BLAC Executive Director” in the subject line. The cover letter should be concise and compelling, and outline your specific experience in community organizing and management. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.